Alexander Zverev.Photo: Frank Franklin II/AP/Shutterstock
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(999x0:1001x2):format(webp)/us-open-1-6564557a495247c899e0d4be0d1f42a9.jpg)
Alexander Zverevwas expelled from the Mexican Open after an angry outburst Tuesday night in Acapulco, Mexico.
According tothe Associated Press, the 24-year-old tennis star lashed out at the umpire after losing a doubles match. The incident happened after Marcelo Melo and Zverev lost to Great Britain’s Harri Heliovaara and Lloyd Glasspool 6-2, 4-6, 10-6 at the tournament.
Shortly after, it was announced that Zverev — who was meant to compete in the round of 16 in the men’s singles tournament — had been removed from Mexican Open play.
Matthew Stockman/Getty Images
:max_bytes(150000):strip_icc():focal(479x404:481x406):format(webp)/Alexander-Zverev-315-dec49d3827a744d78e2511421d42af8f.jpg)
“Due to unsportsmanlike conduct at the conclusion of his doubles match on Tuesday night, Alexander Zverev has been withdrawn from the tournament in Acapulco,” the ATP said, according to a tweet from the official tournament account.
Zverev has since issued a public apology and said that he also privately apologized to the umpire in a statement that was released via the tournament’s Twitter account.
“It is difficult to put into words how much I regret my behavior during and after the doubles match yesterday,” he said. “I have privately apologized to the chair umpire because my outburst towards him was wrong and unacceptable.”
He continued, “As you know I leave everything out on the court. Yesterday I left too much. I am going to take the coming days to reflect on my actions and how I can ensure that it will not happen again.”
source: people.com